Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Two

Two


In 2003 or so, I joined Weight Watchers for the first time. Well, not really for the first time--it’s really the only time, I’ve just been an on-again-off-again participant ever since. I lost 68 pounds of baby weight, and I loved myself. Walk into the closet and pick anything to wear? Yep! Try on size 8s and have them fit? Yep! It was a glorious time in my life. It was also quite short-lived, but that’s beside the point.

Today, much has changed in my world. But some things have stayed the same, such as my regular appearances at the beloved, cozy, strip-mall Weight Watchers store a few miles away. Another constant: the fact that I only go on Tuesdays. Tuesday is Bobbi day.

Bobbi is my first and only Weight Watchers leader. She plays many roles in my life, including counselor, comedian, friend, commiserator, mother-figure, and motivator. (I was just going to say that her heart is as big as my ass, but I thought better of it. Let’s see . . .) She has a seemingly endless capacity to care for “her” members, to make each one feel important and understood.

Yes, I’m still talking about Weight Watchers here. Remember, I’ve known this place and this wonderful woman for 11 years. She’s a little piece of my existence. An important one, because she’s one of the kindest people I’ve ever met. The first few years, when mid-day sitters were hard to come by, she welcomed my baby girls and made them their own nametags so they felt welcome when they were coloring on the floor. When I was on chemo, she hugged me at length each time I walked in the door. (As did her colleagues, sweet ladies like Cathy, Mary Logan, etc.) She cared about how I was feeling physically and emotionally and was my biggest cheerleader. When it was time to get rid of our girls’ crib, I was sad and thought about keeping it up forever just for sentimentality. That is, until Bobbi announced that her dream was coming true and she was going to welcome her first grandchild. Then I gave it to her.

Bobbi listens straight from her heart. We know she does. All of us. 

What do we have in common outside of the meeting walls? I have no idea. Actually, that’s not true. She loves her family and speaks of them so fondly in meetings that it fills the room with warmth. When her son went to China, her pride and fear mingled in each story. Bobbi’s multiple grandchildren adore her; she credits Weight Watchers with being here to adore them right back.

And, we both appreciate a good, down-to-the-soul belly laugh. Quite simply, Bobbi is one of the funniest people I know. Her humor is squeaky clean and omnipresent. Each Tuesday, I can count on a half-hour of laughs, and so can the rest of the room. I don’t know how she does it. How does she appeal to so many people from so many ages, races, backgrounds? She rocks at it, that’s for sure.

And it’s her humor that brings me to number TWO.

Many people in Weight Watchers meetings feel compelled to share their tips, struggles, successes. And their stories. Lord, their stories. Most are cute and touching and of appropriate length. But some go on and on . . . and on and on. This never phases Bobbi, of course (another reason to marvel at her skill). Back to the inspiring vignettes: today, a cute old couple announced that they were back, devoted once again to the process and to helping each other lose weight. I recognize them. They’re adorable and overtly in love.

After the woman spoke, Bobbi prompted her: “And that’s not it, is it?! Tell everyone about the BIG EVENT coming up this spring. An extra incentive to get healthy and look great?”

Cute old lady:  Well, this May, we’re having a big party to celebrate our 60th wedding anniversary!!! (her excitement was clear)

The room burst into a chorus of “awwwwww”s and clapping and general congratulations. We love good news. Successes. Cause for celebration.

Suddenly, Bobbi needed our attention.

“Wait, wait. Hold on. That’s assuming you don’t break up before then.” The room simultaneously erupted in giggles, more clapping. The joke was silly, but damn funny. For that brief, minute moment in time, there existed an energy that was quite palpable. The air felt lighter and thicker at the same time: light with joy; thick with happiness. We were all in the same place, true, but we were also on the same plane. 

We were joyous. Nothing else existed in that second.

It lasted only a second. Then the meeting continued, and the emotions separated and floated in their own directions, back to their owners. Some celebrated their successes, while others worried about their setbacks. Some had to run back to work and were likely concerned about being late, while others may have wished they had a job to go to. Some may have felt just tired, tired of having to work so hard to lose 30, 50, 150 pounds--a journey that can feel epic at so many times. 

Leave it to Bobbi to bring us all together for seconds at a time. 


That was a good one, Bobbi.

1 comment:

  1. So.....I read this last Tuesday and cried and cried. I couldn't even respond until now and here come the tears again. I am so HUMBLED and HONORED by your words dear friend! Mostly, because you have been one of my HEROS for so many years! Thank you for this sweet tribute - and may you have MANY moments in 2015 of JOY! bobbi

    ReplyDelete